Saturday, November 29, 2014

Moms, Are You Mom Enough?

Mom Enough is a new book from Desiring God.  Here is what DG posted on their blog about the book:
Our new book cuts through the nonsense of competitve mothering.  Eight bright women expose the spiritual corruption of it and explore how gospel grace is relevant for the daily trials and worries of motherhood.  In the trenches, these moms have learned to redirect their hope and trust from the shifting sands of popular opinion to the unchanging all-sufficiency of God.
You can read more about the book and how to get free electronic copies and purchase paperback copies at www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/mom-enough-new-book



The most frightening prayer I could pray for my children is the one they need the most.
I always pray about their behavior, their health, their progress in school, and their friendships. I also pray about their future and their jobs. I pray that my boys will marry “nice Christian girls.” But to be honest, when I pray for my children, it is easiest to ask that their lives be smooth, stress-free, comfortable, easy, and free of pain and grief.
Yet when I reflect on my own life and look back on my faith journey, I see all the challenges and trials I have faced along the way, and all the good that God accomplished through them. I see the heartaches I’ve endured and the suffering that brought me to my knees. I also see the sins I’ve struggled with and the idols God graciously stripped from my hands. I see how God used all those valleys and painful circumstances to draw me closer to him, to refine me, and to teach me to rely on him.  
Trials have been the most important events in my life, but it’s not easy to ask for trials for my children. It is hard to ask that God reveal their sin to them, that they see their need for a Savior, that they are broken over their corruption and truly learn to cling to the gospel.
That kind of prayer is uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment