Monday, November 25, 2013

The Best Way to Grow a Ministry

This is more of a ministry related post.
In reading several books and talking with other churches I have been learning some very important lessons about ministry development.

PERSONAL INVITES:  
While we* will announce opportunities through large group formats such as church wide emails and targeted blog posts.  We want to minimize the amount of announcing we do from the pulpit on Sunday mornings.  The Sunday morning worship service should not be the time we stand before a mixed group of members and visitors and plead for "workers" to fill in slots.  Personal invites and shoulder tapping by those serving in ministry already is the best form of recruitment.
I have been encouraging those serving to invite people to serve with them.

RECRUIT TO VISION NOT OPENINGS:
I want to communicate our mission of making disciples who make disciples and helping parents make disciples of their own children.  One way I have been trying to do this is by working with small groups of parents and teachers on Sunday mornings and in Soul Care groups.  This is a slow process.  If you have any questions about children and family ministry, please let me know.  I would love to talk with you.  Just email me drodgers@emmanuelbaptist.com or call the church.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MINISTRY DEVELOPMENT:
I am very excited about the opportunities that we have to share the gospel with children and their families.
I want to encourage you to pray for the children and families God brings to Emmanuel.
I also want to ask you to pray for the teachers, those currently serving and those who will be serving, at Emmanuel Baptist Church.
Prayer is the most important thing in our ministry!!

*The "we" (first person plural) is the pastoral staff.
The "I" & "me" pronouns (first person singular) is Pastor Dave, pastor of Children/Family ministry and Soul Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment